Explore Austria: Hallstatt
Last weekend my husband and I went for a short trip to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. As we were planning a rather quick weekend getaway, we wanted to go somewhere not too far but be able to enjoy the beautiful Austrian scenery.
If you`ve ever been in Austria or you have ever planned to visit, you must`ve heard of the oh soso lovely Hallstatt. A small, picturesque village. Located on the beautiful Hallstättersee. Surrounded by mighty mountain tops, Hallstatt is one of the most heavenly places in Upper Austria.
How to get there:
- by car – it will take you a little longer than 3 hours to reach Hallstatt; take A1 direction Linz/Salzburg; don`t forget to take a long break as soon as you reach Ebensee, it is definitely worth the time.
- by train – take the train from Vienna´s West Train Station (Wien Westbahnhof) direction Linz/Salzburg; change the train at Attnang-Puchheim to Hallstatt Station; you will have to take the ferry across the lake (the best part, if you ask me!).
- by car – the journey takes approx. 1:15h; the road takes you through the beautiful Wolfgangsee. Make a stop in St. Wolfgang – a beautiful village, you shouldn`t miss!
- by bus – take the bus to Bad Ischl, take the train to Hallstatt Station; take the ferry across the lake. The bus will take you through the most beautiful landscapes!
- by train – take the train from Salzburg`s main train station to Attnang-Puchheim; change the train to Hallstatt Station; take the ferry across the lake. The train will take you through the breathtaking Traunsee.
Unesco Natural and Cultural World Heritage Site
The Unesco World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is located between four lakes – Traunsee, Wolfgangsee, Ebensee and Hallstättersee. It is one of only 20 areas in the world compelling us with their breathtaking landscapes, a cultural and natural paradise!
Hallstatt village itself is bursting full of tiny shops, beautiful restaurants, traditional architecture. The houses appearing one on top of the other, facing the glittering water. I could spend all day on the shore capturing the magical scenery – the lake, the mountains, and Hallstatt hugged between the mountains.
Hallstatt, with its rich architecture, long salt mining traditions, mighty caves and spectacular glaciers. A place you wouldn`t want to miss exploring!
What is the last place you visited? Have you ever been in Austria?